A Winter amid the Ice

 A Winter amid the Ice by Jules Verne was a fantastic book to read and the exciting adventure let me get away from reality and be immersed aboard the British ship “Foward” a long side strange captain Hatteras and his right hand Shannon. I chose this book because in Mexico my grandparents had a room filled with books and they have this whole collection on Jules Verne, I wanted to read it but once I was old enough to comprehend the story I moved to the US and it wasn’t until 9 years that I was able to read the book thanks to my grandparents visiting us and bringing the book to me. What I liked the most about this book was the thrilling and nonstop adventure of how the “Foward” made it to the Arctic Ocean and struggled to get back so much that the ship had to be abandoned to survive. My favorite character is Duck, Duck is Hattera's dog and at the beginning of the story, everyone in the Foward thinks the dog is the Captain because of his elegant behavior. An important line in the novel takes place in the Makeshift ice house with a horrid smell of desperation and hopeless marines, the mysterious American marine murmurs “Por por porpoise, North North” (140). It was concluded before that the “Porpoise” was an American Ship from New York and Could be the new host for Hattera’s crew to survive and maybe even continue the voyage to the north and explore the Arctic sea. This quote is also related to the only reason why I don’t like this book’s plot. The plot in the beginning shows that the crew is being tested to see if they are worth the trip but the trip’s goal and mission are revealed until they are dying and struggling to complete the mission, but it also adds sadness and makes the revelation of the new ship vital to the story. Otherwise, I loved this book, and if you like exciting adventures to escape your boring life do yourself a favor and read this book. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching Fire

My Best Friend’s Exorcism